Houston man arrested for freeway proposal off probation

1 Houston

Houston News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search

Vidal Valladares – who made national headlines in 2015 by shutting down a Houston freeway to propose to his girlfriend – successfully completed probation, his attorney said Friday.

Exactly a year ago Friday, Valladares admitted responsibility and publicly apologized for his actions.

On Friday, prosecutors dismissed the case, agreeing that he had successful completed all of the requirements, including the public apology.


READ ALSO: Man who blocked busy traffic explains why he did it

“I apologize to everyone for all the trouble I caused,” he said, after agreeing to the deal.  “I put myself and Michelle and all the people on the highway in danger.”

He went on to say: “You mess with the law, you pay for it.”

On Friday, his lawyer agreed that he had paid for his mistake.

“Mr. Valladares is happily married and he is happy to get this ordeal behind him,” said attorney Mark Thering.

It was Sunday, Dec. 13, 2015 when Valladares had friends stand in front of several lanes of traffic so he could propose to Michelle Wycoff, in the middle of busy Interstate 45 traffic near downtown Houston.

The Harris County District Attorney’s Office charged Valladares with obstruction of a roadway, a Class B misdemeanor.

Completing the probation means Valladres will not have a conviction his record.

If he had been convicted, he could have been jailed up to six months in jail and fined $2,000.


1 Houston

Houston News & Search

1 News - 1 eMovies - 1 eMusic - 1 eBooks - 1 Search


Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Facebooktwitterlinkedinrssyoutube

Leave a Reply